Monday, October 4, 2010

Entry #3


During class today we were given time to go downstairs and peruse the gallery. The artworks that were on display in this particular exhibition were truly amazing. Each one was different but at the same time they seemed connected, they seemed to be cohesive to each other.

As I was walking, many of the paintings caught my eye, but there was one in particular that I found very fascinating. I realized that it must be because, as a dancer, I have a built in fascination with the human body. This painting looked like a body in movement, and I thought that it was really beautiful. It reminded me of some of the exercises that we do in some of our movement or improvisation classes, because it looks like a spiral. The painting is very primal, the colors almost make the painting look as though it was created from clay. It was a very beautiful painting.

This painting is by Laura Ferguson. It's called Twisting Figure. It was created by mixing oil paint with bronze powders, giving it a very textured look (which is what reminded me of clay). The painting focuses closely on the flesh and muscle of the subject. The colors are muted, and natural, giving the painting an earthy look.

Overall I liked this piece because it seems so natural. The twist of the body and the colors bring the whole painting to life in a way that really captures the onlooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment