Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Entry #2- Aesthetics


What are aesthetics? That's not a question that I usually ask my self. Or not consciously. But I think that we all have moments when we wish that we could capture what we are seeing and have it forever. And I think in those moments we define what aesthetic is to us. Something that, even subconsciously, gives us pleasure to look at.
There are four domains of creativity:
1. Fluency- When you're coming up with different ideas, fluency is the ability to come up with many different ideas
2. Flexibility- Flexibility is the ability to move quickly from one idea to another, from different perspectives
3. Originality- The ability to think of something "first," that nobody else has thought of
4. Elaboration- The ability to add to ideas to improve them
I had a practical experience that turned into an aesthetic experience a few weekends ago. I was riding in the car, which is a mundane experience usually. I was at the military base where my fiance is stationed, and I was riding in the back of his truck out in the country. It was a really beautiful evening because it was cool and not too humid, even though it had been raining on and off all day long. When I glanced up I saw a rainbow, which was absolutely breathtaking. The way that it was such a simple thing that was so beautiful none the less was an incredible experience. Not only was I able to see the rainbow, I could also see the reflection of the rainbow as well. The colors of the rainbow were so pure and so clear, that even when I'd taken several pictures, I wasn't happy with they way they looked. The pictures did not do justice to the beauty of the rainbow in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment